Are you familiar with a cam lock? It is a type of fastener that is commonly used for cabinet construction. A cam lock allows your cabinet to hold together without affecting its outside appearance securely. This kind of lock will enable you to easily and quickly assemble cabinets and furniture. Since it is convenient to use, people prefer to install it on their own. If you want an easy and simple guide on how to install a cam lock on a cabinet, I have provided instructions for you.
Types of Cam Locks
Before you proceed with the guide on how to install a cam lock on a cabinet, it is also essential to know the different types of cam locks. For the information of everyone, there are two types of cam locks. These are:
- Flat key cam lock, and
- Tubular cam lock
The flat key cam lock opened with a regular flat key and is designed like a house key or car key. On the other hand, the tubular cam lock works the same as the flat key cam lock, but the tubular cam lock is opened with a key that has a round tubular-shaped object pushed into the cam lock. Instead of having a flat opening, the tubular cam lock has a circular opening for inserting the key.
They also call a “combo cam lock” that uses a combination dial code. You don’t need to carry around a key to open the lock.
Benefits of Having a Cam Lock
Aside from the different types of cam locks, you also have to know the benefits you can get from the cam locks before proceeding to the instructions on how to install a cam lock on a cabinet. The most common benefit that you can get from having a cam lock is it secures cabinets, doors, drawers, file cabinets, safety boxes, and many other items that you should secure.
These cam locks are typically used in the office where the clients’ and customers’ important information is kept.
You can purchase a cam lock in your local hardware or any department store that carries hardware items. In addition to that, numerous online companies and shops sell specialized cam locks to fit all your needs.
Simple Steps to Install a Cam Lock
These simple steps on how to install a cam lock on a cabinet can do by anyone. The following are the pre-installation instructions:
- Fits standard ¾ inches cam hole
- Short cam can be position in increments of 90-degrees position
- Long cam can be placed in increments of 45-degrees
These are the actual installation instructions:
- Insert the lock body through the front of ¾ inches drilled hole.
- For the wood, place prong washer over lock body, prongs facing the wood.
- Thread the cylinder nut, and then tighten.
- Attached stop cam and the straight cam, and then secure using a screw and lock washer.
To set your combination, follow this instruction:
- The combination is factory set at >>0-0-0<<
- The combination must be on the opening number before resetting
- Look for the hole for the code reset button on the underside outer edge of the lock. Rotate the face of the cam until the code reset button comes into view
- Push the pin in using a paper clip, and then keep it pushed in
- Enter your desired combination
- Release the reset button, and your combination is set
- If you want to lock, rotate the lock to the “locked” position. Rotate one or more dials after the lock is closed. If you are going to open the lock, turn dials to your combination
Now that you know how to install a cam lock on a cabinet. Remember that cam locks can be located at joints to make them more secure. These are often invisible after the cabinet is fully constructed, making it even more appealing. There are types of cam locks that can secure the cabinet door completely for privacy. It requires a key for the cabinet to be opened. Here’s how to learn more about File Cabinets.